Sunday, November 6, 2011

Let The Games Begin

First of all, let me explain the title...


The term "ALL Olympics" came to my mind when I was doing my daily laps in the hospital one day during the Oct 2011 chemo cycle. During these walks, I came up with numerous phrases and thoughts that I plan on writing down, and in terms of the title for this blog, this phrase popped up in my head when I thought about  summarizing this experience concisely.


This is round 2. Never anticipated there being another round of the monstrosity that took place in 2010, but the mission now is to win it all. I'll consider the year in between the relapse and the first round as the training period. I worked as hard as I could to get as close as possible to my physical abilities before all this, and this will be the test of that effort. Can't come in second, I have to win the gold. That's the only option.


I came across this documentary recently of a bone marrow transplant (BMT) success story. I was so freaked out by how similar our experiences are...both diagnosed with ALL at age 22, needing a BMT and found an almost identical match from his sibling, etc. Not only that, but also the treatment that he was on was very similar to mine, and everyday events like getting a neupogen shot, getting lumbar punctures/spinal taps, etc. were also in this documentary. The way he described having panic attacks were word for word my thoughts. Exactly. It was so freaky how he experienced even similar hallucinations when he was on pain killers and critically ill. 


I can only hope that my outcome will also be the same as his.


http://www.hulu.com/watch/288577/jacks-mannequin-dear-jack


2 comments:

  1. GP chillen! love the username! i know that you are going to get through these tough times gurpreet because you are the strongest person i have ever met in my life and if anyone can do it, it's you! you are truly an inspiration for us all and i can't wait to see you rippp a bhangra stage again for an unprecedented THIRD comeback =) if you ever need anything, please let me know. and expect a visit during the end of nov/beg of dec from me! take care and i'll see you soon GP!!!!! miss you brooooo

    Sunnybrobro

    ReplyDelete
  2. and yes i will be reading your blog every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete